Become a Sydney Writers’ Festival Youth Curator
Are you a young reader obsessed with the world of Young Adult literature? Would you like to play a role in the curation and planning of a major literary festival’s YA program? If this piques your interest, then the Sydney Writers’ Festival’s Youth Curator Council might be the ideal mentoring program for you!
During two hands-on workshops, our Youth Curators will be guided by Sydney Writers’ Festival’s Head of Children’s and YA Programs, Amelia Lush, to curate sessions for All-Day YA 2020 – a full day of engaging, current and curious events featuring a phenomenal line-up of international and local young adult authors. All-Day YA will take place on Saturday 2 May at the Festival precinct, Carriageworks.
- Aged 14–20 (not turning 21 until after 3 May 2020).
- Live in the wider Sydney area.
- Love books, reading and young adult literature.
- Comfortable working within a group of other book-loving young people.
- Able and willing to read up to four young adult books provided by the Festival over the 2019/2020 summer.
- If under 18, have a signed permission form from a parent or guardian.
- Available to attend the two programming workshops (Saturday 18 January, Saturday 8 February) in The Rocks, and All-Day YA on Saturday 2 May 2020 at Carriageworks.
- The program runs for six months from 20 December–20 May.
- This is a paid role. All participants will be paid $150 for each day of attendance (workshops x 2 and All-Day YA).
- Both programming workshops will be held at the Arts Exchange in The Rocks, Sydney.
- Each applicant must complete the online expression of interest form, as well as send through a short video review of a favourite young adult book.
- If travel or access is difficult, video conferencing for the workshops can be arranged, but in-person attendance of All-Day YA is essential.
- If travelling from outside the Sydney Metro area, a travel allowance of $50 per day can be arranged.
- Thursday 5 December: expressions of interest applications open
- Wednesday 18 December: expressions of interest applications close
- Friday 20 December: Successful applicants notified
- Monday 23 December: Summer reading distributed
- Saturday 18 January: Programming Workshop 1 (compulsory), 11am–4pm, lunch included
- Saturday 8 February: Programming Workshop 2 (compulsory), 11am–4pm, lunch included
- Saturday 2 May: All-Day YA, Carriageworks, 9am–6pm
- Post-Festival: debrief and catch-up
If you have any questions about the program, please get in touch with our Head of Children's and YA Programs, Amelia Lush. e: email@example.com | ph: 61 (2) 9256 4209